Posted 27-02-2012, offered
Do you like staying up on what’s going on in the media world? Are you research and social media savvy? Do you possess excellent verbal and written communication skills and are able to thrive in a fast-paced environment?
If you answered “yes” to any of the above, a Communications internship at Discovery Communications is for you! We’re looking for outgoing, motivated, and detail-oriented interns who can multi-task and navigate the media communications landscape.
In an internship at Discovery Communications you’ll be exposed to all areas of the business through a solid foundation of learning through training and work experience. Discovery is proud to provide interns with an opportunity to gain an understanding of our mission, values, departments, employees, culture and commitment to quality programming, products and services.
As a Communications intern, some of the things you can expect to do include:
1) Learn how business intelligence is monitored, disseminated and used within the greater organizational context
2) Write and edit press releases, press summaries, bios and media alerts
3) Pitch smaller outlets for press opportunities
4) Draft media advisories, work events, promotion materials and talent appearances
5) Create trend reports
6) Get to assist with executing corporate events
7) Spearhead various research project initiatives
8) Be involved with media and Discovery staff interviews
9) Work with social media (e.g. Facebook, Twitter)
For the 2012 year, Discovery offers internships during the Spring and Summer semesters. Discovery’s Campus Connect is a 12-week program that will run during the following dates:
Spring- January 30, 2012 - April 20, 2012
Summer- June 4, 2012 - August 17, 2012
• Have a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA
• Have completed sophomore year
• Be able to commit at least 15hrs per week
• Currently be enrolled in undergraduate or graduate school
• Be able to receive academic college credit for participation in the program
• Some knowledge of Spanish