News Camera Operator/ Editor
Posted 27-03-2015, offered
This fulltime position is based in Washington working with a small, dedicated news-gathering team providing News and Current Affairs stories for all ABC News programs and platforms.
As a solo operator working with experienced foreign correspondents you will need to display a comprehensive understanding of editorial requirements as well as a high level of independent judgment and creative flair.
This position includes substantial employee benefits including three weeks annual leave, federal holidays, dental coverage, fully paid health insurance and eligibility after one year of employment for enrolment in the ABC's retirement plan.
This position is a locally engaged posting for applicants who are eligible to live and work in the United States. There is no employer support for relocation or working visa or citizenship entitlements.
In this job you will:
• Deliver high quality TV News and longer, more complex TV current affairs video footage.
• Deliver completed TV News and TV Current Affairs packages using laptop based non-linear editing and file transfer software.
• Operate without supervision, ENG field and broadcast studio equipment including editing, news exchange and studio.
• Provide digital photography and a social media stream as directed.
• Organise complex logistics requirements for ‘off-base’ assignments.
• Establish live cross points from assignment locations.
• Enhance production quality and efficiency by regularly contributing to program and story ideas and production techniques.
• Engage with the Bureau Chief and supervising producer on editorial decisions.
• Support the Bureau Chief and Correspondents in actively expanding the ABC’s Online and Digital output.
• Train and mentor other Bureau staff members on less complex aspects of digital news-gathering operations to achieve a higher degree of multi-skilling.
• Routinely check and report faults to ensure that Bureau technical equipment is maintained and operational.
• Actively promote the ABC Values and apply all relevant policies and guidelines including Editorial Policies, Equity & Diversity and Work Health & Safety.
1. Extensive experience as a News Cinematographer and Video Editor.
2. Advanced technical knowledge of all equipment required for TV, Radio and Online news gathering in the Bureau and off-base on remote assignments.
3. The energy, stamina and willingness to work long and irregular hours as part of a small team.
4. The flexibility to travel at short notice and work off-base on hazardous and/ or arduous assignments for extended periods in domestic or international locations.
5. Digital photography and social media skills will be advantageous.
6. An extensive knowledge of and interest in the region, including diplomatic, political, economic, social, and cultural issues and events. Language skills will be advantageous.
7. An extensive network of contacts in the News production, technology and maintenance organizations.
8. Time management skills to meet deadlines across all platforms,
9. An understanding of and commitment to the ABC’s aims, objectives and workplace values, together with relevant policies and guidelines including Editorial Policies, Equity & Diversity and Work Health & Safety.
About Australian Broadcasting Corporation
The Australian Broadcasting Corporation is Australia's national public broadcaster. The corporation provides television, radio, online and mobile services throughout metropolitan and regional Australia, as well as overseas through Australia Plus and Radio Australia and is well regarded for quality and reliability as well as for offering educational and cultural programming
See more at: www.productionhub.com/job/45358/news-camera-operator-editor
If you are interested in applying for the job go to bit.ly/1Gx5oAH