Senior Art Director - Los Angeles Magazine
Posted 10-08-2015, offered
Publication or Company Los Angeles Magazine
Industry Graphic Design/Art Direction, Magazine Publishing
Benefits 401K/403B, Dental, Health
Los Angeles Magazine is looking for a creative, experienced, highly motivated Senior Art Director to
join our design team and handle a broad range of design duties in the conception, design, and execution of a monthly city magazine. The ideal candidate for this full-time position will demonstrate strong typography skills, experience in photo direction and the ability to work closely with editorial staff, freelance photographers and illustrators. A creative approach to design and the ability to juggle and meet multiple deadlines is a must.
· Works with the Design Director on art/concept planning on feature layouts as well as some FOB design when needed.
· Commissions illustrations and info graphics
· Attends and art-directs photo shoots when required
· Superior typography, layout, and design skills
· Awareness of contemporary magazine design, photographers and illustrators
· Excellent communication and people skills
· Attention to detail in layouts and typography
· Ability to stay calm and professional under high pressure and tight deadlines
· Ability to juggle lots of tasks and prioritize to meet essential deadlines
· Ability to work closely with the editorial team to create visual solutions that clearly illustrate the core idea of a story.
· Excellent design and typographic skills coupled with a passion for magazine layout, as well as a commitment to excellence.
· Thorough technical knowledge of OSX, InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator (CS6)
· Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills, as well as an enthusiastic attitude, highly organized work style, and the ability to self-motivate.
· Works effectively in daily collaboration with editorial, production, and design team
A bachelor’s degree with 5–10 years experience in the magazine publishing industry.
Send resume, salary requirements and a pdf or web address with samples of your work to
NO PHONE CALLS OR WALK-INS ACCEPTED.
About Our Company Emmis entered the world of publishing in 1988, with the purchase of its hometown magazine, Indianapolis Monthly, and since that time the company has grown to become the country’s leading publisher of city and regional magazines. Building on the expertise of the management team at Indianapolis Monthly, Emmis Publishing has since acquired Atlanta, Texas Monthly, Cincinnati Magazine, Los Angeles, and Orange Coast magazines.
Los Angeles Magazine is the “must read” for sophisticated consumers in Los Angeles and a “must buy” for advertisers who want to reach this defined market. Each month, editorial content takes subscribers deep behind the headlines into the stories that impact our area. We profile the region’s most interesting and influential people; offer regular sections such as Buzz, Eat, Shop and Do and create service packages on topics ranging from neighborhoods and restaurants to shopping and schools.
EMMIS Communications (NASDAQ: EMMS) is a diversified media corporation with award-winning radio broadcasting and magazine publishing operations in markets across the country. EMMIS is as well known for its creative culture as for its operations. Our people are aggressive, knowledgeable and deeply committed to each of the communities in which we operate. Because employees are the key to our success, EMMIS offers strong benefits and incentives, including health, dental and life insurance and a 401(k) contribution plan. For more information about EMMIS, visit our website at www.emmis.com
EMMIS COMMUNICATIONS/Los Angeles MAGAZINE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
To apply, visit: www.mediabistro.com/joblistings/jobview.asp