showcase magazine Jul 2009cape town issue 170
Welcome to the latest issue of Showcase Cape Town, brought to you by Production Paradise. We present the very best of the South African visual media industry, with more information available in our dedicated Film and Photo directories.
Be sure to check out our featured events:
- The Blues Brothers, NewSpace Theatre, July 1st - August 1st. Get ready for a non-stop serious party as 'Joliet' and Elwood Blues take to the stage.
- National Arts Festival, Grahamstown, July 2nd - 11th. There's still time to catch some of the performances at Africa's largest and most colourful cultural spectacle.
Our cover photo was shot by Michael Meyersfield.
- photo agents Back to top
ONELEAGUE Cape Town photo agents
One League is a Cape Town-based agency representing photographers, stylists, hair & make-up artists and illustrators from around the world. One League has become synonymous with talent, passion and precision execution. The agency has hand-picked a select group of artists who produce work of the highest international standard for clients including world-renowned advertising agencies, catalogues and editorials. Contact the agency for electronic portfolios.
The One League Photographers are: Alexa Singer, Antonia Steyn, Antti Viitala, Damon Fourie, Debra Roets, Gavin O' Neill, Guy Neveling, James Strack, Jan Verboom, Mark Williams, Michael Meyersfeld, Murat Aslan, Natasja Fourie, Paschoal Rodriguez, Ross Garrett, Petra van Raaij, Russel Wasserfall.
Shape Shifters Cape Town photo agents
Shape Shifters represents a small number of local and international photographers, most of whom are actively engaged in commercial advertising work and social development projects that promote human rights and environmental matters for international agencies.
The work offered by the agency therefore has a certain depth and dynamic not usually seen in commercially represented work in South Africa.
Shape Shifters offers a full stills production service and has the benefit of representing photographers who are au-fait with shooting conditions in Africa. This means they can directly assist in adding value to productions with tighter budgets thanks to their broad local knowledge.
Visit the website for more information.
- photo production Back to top
Cape Town Productions Cape Town location service and scouts
Cape Town Productions would like to say a big "thank you" to everybody who contributed towards making such a challenging season a successful one.
"Thank you to our dedicated team in the office, our incredible and supportive clients and our suppliers, especially Protea Hotel Group and Focus Rentals, who are all such important members of our team."
Cape Town Productions produces shoots internationally in Greece, Croatia, Spain, Portugal, France, Thailand, Dubai, Zanzibar, Mauritius and Namibia. The company has just finished a successful production in Marseilles, whilst Gavin Levy is currently shooting in Koh Samui, Thailand.
Cape Town Productions looks forward to seeing all its clients in Europe later this year, and to welcome them back to Cape Town for the 2009/2010 season.
Cool Banana Cape Town photo production
Latest news from Cool Banana:
- Nokia and Lowe Worldwide visited South Africa with photographer Rami Hanafi. This enormous two-week production was shot for the Sub-Saharan Africa and Middle Eastern markets, and saw between 30 and 150 people on set daily. The variation and uniqueness of the markets offered a rewarding challenge to all those involved, as all casting and wardrobe were sourced locally in Cape Town, while locations varied from a rural wheat field and a fishing boat to city streets, parks, cafes, universities, offices and houses. Styling: Nicci Thackwell. Hair and make-up: Nino Allegro.
- British Airways and Barclaycard have introduced a new credit card. Impact BBDO came to Cape Town to shoot the campaign with photographer Igor Polzenhagen.
- The original Greek Ouzo 12 (now owned by Campari), required a beautiful beach to shoot its latest campaign. Naturally, Cape Town was the choice! Photographer: Hendrik Nennecke. Styling: Nicky van Eck. Hair: Melre Titus. Make-up by Nikkila Mann.
Gavin Schneider Productions Cape Town location service and scouts
"The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra." Gavin Schneider Productions produces print advertising, catalogue, photo/video library and editorial shoots. This season the company produced advertising and editorial campaigns for:
- Honda Hybrid with Rob Payne.
- Orange Mobile with Joel Redman.
- Jones Bootmaker with Lee Robbins.
- Adidas with Jeannette Brugger.
- Intervet with David Boni.
- Avon with James Stroud.
- Sainsbury's with Nick Haddow.
- Elegance with Stephan Latusek.
- Bullring with Richard Grassie.
- Chevvy Cruz with Garry Owens.
- Freya with Sean McMenomy.
- Novartis with Florian Geiss.
- UK Cosmopolitan with Hugh Arnold.
- S Magazine with Nick Clements.
- Mystyle Magazine with Peter Schreiber.
The company thanks all of its clients for their continued support and is looking forward to what is shaping-up to be another busy season.
EuroConnection South Africa Cape Town photo production
Summer '09 has been very creative for EuroConnection. The company has worked directly with advertising agencies booking local and international photographers for the fashion, beauty and commercial industries. Its team personally attends to client briefs, providing consultation and management on every level.
Producer and owner, Julie van Damme, will be visiting clients in Europe during the months of June and July. To arrange a meeting, email the office in Cape Town for an appointment.
Recent productions include Vroom and Dreesmann, Playboy, Cosmopolitan, Gillette, Wavebreak stills and video, and James magazine.
First Productions Cape Town photo production
First Productions recently completed yet another successful season. The team is already busy sourcing new locations and negotiating competitive rates with suppliers for 2009/10. Latest projects include:
- Karstadt & Heine. Shot by Torsten Ruppert / Gudrun Hamann Productions.
- Impressionen catalogues. Shot by Torsten Ruppert, Martin Rusch and Christoph Köster.
- Prudential Insurance campaign, UK. Shot by Paddy Eckersley.
- F6 Cigarettes, KTM motorbikes and COOP campaigns. All shot by Sonja Schaefer / Waldmann Solar.
- Isostar Swiss campaign. Shot by Gian Paul Lozza / Beatrice Mächler.
- TCS Swiss. Ph: Caspar Martig. Co-produced with Mel y Mel, Zurich.
- Kocca. Ph: Roberta Pagano. Co-produced with Medias Productions, Italy.
- Nivea. Shot by Sabine Liewald.
- Franz Carl Weber. Shot by Tobias Staebler / Waldmann Solar.
- Baur & Wenz. Shot by Peter Prix.
- Klingel & Wenz. Shot by LinnandRobert Photography.
- Peter Hahn. Shot by Nicole Neumann, Sabine Liewald and Torsten Ruppert.
The company extends its thanks to all clients for their continued support and hopes to see them again next season.
Freelink Cape Town photo production
Handling kids on a shoot is certainly not child's play, especially under the pressure of cameras, lights and highly-strung adults! Having a local production partner who has been around the 'kiddy blocks' and knows how to coax amazing images from potentially troublesome teens, or tots, certainly pays-off.
Through extensive experience, Freelink has developed a knack for anticipating childrens' individual needs, moods and personality quirks - keeping them focused and relaxed on even the most challenging of shoots.
The company's digital presentations are the easiest way to access thousands of young models covering every ethnic and cultural category imaginable.
Visit the website for more information.
Magic Mountain Productions Cape Town photo production
It is an exciting time for Magic Mountain Productions as, despite the highly competitive nature of the service industry, the company continues to beat off the competition by keeping prices low and offering first class experience, skills, capacity and attention to detail. Company director, Sabina, ensures that every shoot gets taken care of with typical German efficiency.
Sabina would like to thank all the loyal and new clients who have entrusted her with their shoots on South Africa's sunny shores.
Over the last few months, the Magic team has organised shoots for: Takko, Suedwest, Quelle Austria, Neckermann, Ronja, Camaieu, Karstadt, Yves Rocher, Leica, BonPrix, Coop, Waschbaer, Happy Size, WDV, One up Golf, Esprit, Toni, Orsay, Pierre Fabre, Garnier, C&A.
Nomad Production House Cape Town photo production
After an energetic and rewarding season in Cape Town, Damon continued the flow by moving onto Croatia where he produced four Otto teams over a three week period. The productions took place in Zagreb, the industrial hub of Croatia, with its beautiful historic buildings and mixture of modern and traditional locations.
With spring blooming and the air fresh with summer rains, the productions were a wonderful extension to the season. Nomad will be returning to Croatia, moving down to Dubrovnik, in July and August. True to it's definition, "Nomad is always on the move!"
Visit the website for more information.
Steel Productions Cape Town photo production
The heat of summer has left South Africa for a short time, but the Steel Team continues to enjoy the warmth and buzz of working with some fantastic, talented teams in Cape Town. Summer productions included:
- Fila S/S and F/W '09 by Kalle Gustafsson.
- Philips Avent by Sue Parkhill.
- DV Mode by Jesper Brandt.
- New Look by Alexa Singer.
- Tassimo by Garry Simpson.
- Karstadt Sport by Andi Frank.
- Education First by Andreas Lind.
- Specsavers by Colin Lane.
- Hemtex by Mattias Rudh.
- Riemann Sunscreen by Peter Boel.
Winter in Cape Town offers the chance for some downtime to enjoy the 'Mother City' without tourists, and of course to prepare for the coming summer. In the meantime, the Steel team are preparing for their annual winter productions in the snow-covered mountains just outside of the city.
The Worx Production House Cape Town photo production
It seems not even a recession can slow the ladies from The Worx Productions down! The company has enjoyed a great 2008/2009 season with some amazing shoots, proving yet again that it is amongst the leading production houses in Cape Town. The Worx would like to thank all of its suppliers and crew who have helped make it such a success.
End of season highlights include:
- Siemens - Photographer: Jo Magrean.
- Matalan - Photographers: Ed Bovingdon and Anthony Friend.
- Barclays - Anthony Friend.
- Speedo - Photographer: Cathrine Wessel.
- photographers Back to top
Anthony friend Cape Town advertising photographers
Anthony Friend has finished the summer season with an immense portfolio after consistently producing at an international level.
- Matalan catalogue and Barclays, shot with The Worx Productions.
- Easi Hair & Wigs.Com campaign produced by Anthony Friend Photography.
- Punjab King's XI public relations images shot while the IPL was being played in South Africa.
- Men's Health cover, Germany.
- The Jupiter Drawing Room - Elizabeth Arden, Quartz Shoes, Edgar's Father's Day, Boardman's homeware and Penny C catalogues.
- Hippocampus Pres Les Decor catalogue.
- Cosmopolitan jeans guide, 'Hitched' editorial, April editorial, beauty.
- Men's Health SA jeans guide, winter style guide editorial, fashion editorials and covers.
- Netsport - Cosmopolitan lingerie.
- Woolworths World editorials for Littleworld, Mother's Day and Father's Day.
- Sandton Magazine editorials for January, February, March, May and June.
- Edgar's Club Magazine fashion editorials and April cover.
During July, Anthony will shoot advertising work for Adidas, Liquifruit and Le Quartier Francais, and is then off to Egypt for a two-week shoot with Cosmopolitan Summer Swimwear edition.
David Prior Photography Cape Town advertising photographers
Specialising in liquids and beverage photography, but renowned for his work in lifestyle, portraiture and still life, David Prior is passionate about achieving constantly better images for his advertising clients.
For the photographer, advertising offers ample opportunity to experiment and play. He won an award for his 'crying men' image at this year's Communication Arts, and received a silver in France at Epic for his Domestos campaign.
A page about the photographer also appeared in the Association of Photography annual book.
Visit his website for more information.
Mark Lanning Photography Cape Town advertising photographers
Mark Lanning has a rare passion for his craft, constantly reinventing himself through his work. His need to chase the "magic essence" in each picture inspires all those who work with him.
He specialises in advertising photography but stays true to the belief that each and every image he delivers is the best possible visual solution, regardless of subject matter.
In essence, photography is the process of recording light. The way Mark lights his subject matter, whether portraits, cars, food, fashion, interiors, people or landscapes, reveals an intriguing relationship between photographer, subject, and the understanding of how critical light can be.
- models, actors, casting Back to top
Ice Models Cape Town fashion models
Latest news from Ice Models:
- Stephen Walker shot for the new Esprit collection in Stockholm.
- Angie Schmidt and Julian Schalk feature in the latest Levi's campaign.
- Zilke Goosen features for Carrera Sunglasses.
- Charlbi Kriek is on the cover of G&W Magazine.
- Anastasia Jenkin shows off up-market fashion for Eeva Magazine.
- Sam Laskey is featured in an elegant editorial for South African Marie Claire.
MAX models Cape Town fashion models
In this Showcase, Max Models presents a selection of work from what has been a very exciting season:
- Dual Cosmopolitan covers in May - Jenna Peterson for Cosmopolitan and Gina Athans for Cosmopolitan Jeans.
- Claire featured in a stunning editorial and on the cover of Private Edition Magazine.
- Jenna Peterson shot Hunkemoller in the Bahamas and featured in an editorial for Chew Magazine.
- Elina for Chew Magazine.
- Gina Athans for W Lingerie.
- Elana Drago for Eeva Magazine.
- Maryke, courtesy of Midenge Photography.
- Natalia for Foschini.
- Ayan and Maryke for Sandton Beauty.
Shine Group Cape Town fashion models
The Shine Group presents a selection of recent work:
- James Meakin's editorial for the June/July edition of Italian magazine Flair, shot on location at Paarl Rock and Kraai Baai. Fashion with model Sheila Marquez c/o Storm, swimwear with model Jana Knauerova c/o Models One. Make-up and hair: Stephen Low and Steven Canavan. Styling: Vittoria Cerciello.
- Justin Polkey's editorial for the May edition of Golf & Wein, shot on Devil's Peak in Cape Town. Make-up and hair: Kevin Epstein. Styling: Cally Palmer.
Y models Cape Town fashion models
Latest news from Y Models:
- Donovan - shot by Florien Geiss for his personal portfolio (Hamburg).
- Andre Geldenhuys - 2009 Levi's campaign. Photographer: Romi Stern (Cape Town).
- Mignonne - 2009 Marks & Spencer campaign. Photographer: David Oldham (London).
- Michael Prochnik - 2009 American Swiss. Photographer: Steven Greeff (Cape Town).
- Ashleigh - New Face 2009. Photographer: Petra von Raaij (Hamburg).
- hotels and apartments Back to top
Romney Park Luxury Suites & Wellness Centre Cape Town hotels
The inspiration for Romney Park Luxury All Suite Hotel & Spa comes from a commitment to providing refined guest services alongside a unique ambiance within a central location. The hotel has successfully created an environment that is graciously Colonial but also modern, sophisticated and decidedly elegant.
All 29 comprehensively equipped suites are sea-facing, with a generous private terrace commanding spectacular views across Table Bay. Hotel facilities include a wellness spa, bar, restaurant and outdoor swimming pool.
- food Back to top
SALT Restaurant & Bar Cape Town restaurants
Commanding a breathtaking position in Bantry Bay, SALT is an all-round sensory experience. Floor to ceiling glass windows stretch the length of the restaurant, unfolding to reveal the fresh sea breeze and sounds of the crashing waves below.
Distinguished by impeccable service and classic yet contemporary decor, SALT serves simple, approachable, honest food in an easy-dining atmosphere, complemented by an extensive wine list of over 70 wines.
Championing both quality and affordability is Head Chef, David Winton, whose honest, contemporary and seasonally-inspired menus incorporate both local and international flavours. Proudly showcasing a great selection of first-rate local produce alongside time-honoured international favourites, SALT has earned a reputation as a veritable food-and-wine matching paradise.