showcase magazine Feb 2010cape town issue 199
Welcome to the latest issue of Showcase Cape Town, brought to you by Production Paradise. We present the very best of the South African visual media industry, with more information available in our dedicated Film and Photo directories.
Be sure to check out our featured events:
- Cape Winelands Film Festival, Stellenbosch, 17th - 27th March. A programme of fascinating films, special events, tributes and symposia are planned to showcase both global cinema and the South African film industry.
- Decorex Cape 2010, Cape Town Central, 23rd - 27th April. The city is the undisputed design hub of South Africa and welcomes the most exquisite collection of exhibitors, design icons and rising stars showcasing everything from furniture to fabrics, lighting and décor.
Our cover image was styled by Guildford Grace for Mexx.
- photo production Back to top
EuroConnection South Africa Cape Town photo production
EuroConnection offers every aspect of production assistance required for catalogue, editorial, advertising, film and video shoots in South Africa. Its team personally attends to clients' briefs, providing consultation and management on every level. The company insists on good pre-production, hands-on personal involvement and total commitment to every client.
Recent projects shot in Cape Town:
- Milner Cheese TVC/print campaign, the Netherlands. Director and photographer: Rene Kramers.
- Princesse Tam-Tam, France. Photographer: Jan Welters.
- US Polo Assn, Italy. Photographer: Riccardo Bagnoli.
- Expresso Fashion, the Netherlands. Photographer: Alexa Singer.
- Peacocks, UK. Photographer: Sean Knott.
- FTS 64, Turkey. Photographer: Lior Nordman.
- Parly 2, France. Photographer: Henk Callens.
- Vroom and Dreesmann, the Netherlands. Photographer: Alexa Singer.
- Cosmopolitan, the Netherlands (shot in Johannesburg). Photographer: Dirk Kikstra.
Nomad Production House Cape Town photo production
2009 was a fantastic year for Nomad, with some great advertising jobs shot by Guy Neveling for Gallus, Cottonelle, VW Polo and Old Mutual.
Nomad began 2010 at a sprint with the bluest of skies and brightest sunshine providing the perfect environment for catalogue clients to capture perfect shots.
With Gemo, Pro Idee and Otto, the combination of Cape Town and Nomad was the perfect recipe for "No hassle" productions.
Prinz Productions Cape Town photo production
The intrepid production team at Prinz, led by Cindy Viljoen, recently returned from shooting a fantastic commercial with Yannick Noah for Ecoute Te Nature in some of the most pristine locations to be found anywhere on the planet.
At the beginning of the year, Mamas and Papas shot a catalogue for pregnancy wear with Paul Robinson behind the lens, taking images of some wonderful models that had travelled to Cape Town for the summer season.
IDDesign, a Danish furniture catalogue company and one of Prinz' oldest clients, made good use of the many beautiful houses and villas that Cape Town has to offer on a shoot with Erik Zappon.
A co-production with Orendt Studios for Frontline once again pushed the boundaries of catalogue production with an innovative street style and edgy look. The company's style lends itself to street casting and many a new talent was found during the course of the production as the Prinz team roamed the downtown streets taking edgy editorial-style pictures with photographer Torsten Orendt.
Visit the website or contact Prinz Productions direct for a free production quote.
Cape Town Productions Cape Town photo production
Cape Town Productions has been busy on location around South Africa, from the majestic rolling hills of Kwa-Zulu Natal, the dramatic landscapes of the Northern Cape and Karoo, to the pristine beaches and beautiful wine lands of the Western Cape.
Based in dynamic Cape Town, which is wrapped in World Cup frenzy, Cape Town Productions has once again enjoyed wonderful custom from its loyal and dedicated clientele.
"From the 14 of us here in the office to all of you, a huge thank-you for making this season another memorable one. Gavin, Denise, Mike, Claire, Belinda and the whole team wish you a most stupendous 2010."
Freelink Cape Town photo production
Over the last 15 exciting, unforgettable, and pushing-the-envelope years, Freelink has had the pleasure of working with some of the greatest talents and personalities in the business.
"At this milestone, it's only natural to do a mental retrospective of all the work we've helped facilitate since starting in this crazy, sun-chasing business," explains Executive Producer, Christine Le Clos.
“One name that keeps popping up - both as a prodigious talent and an outstanding human being - happens to be the very first photographer we ever worked with (and have continued to work with ever since). Eric Matheron-Balay, please take a bow."
Steel Productions Cape Town photo production
Steel thanks all of its clients for their support over the past few months and for keeping the team busy with many exciting projects. Summer in Cape Town is far from over, but has so far included work with:
- Clarks Shoes shot by Graham Shearer.
- VISA shot by Staudinger Franke.
- O2 shot in South Africa and Namibia by Michael Schnabel.
- Replay shot by Chad Pitman.
- O2 shot by Kalle Gustafsson.
- Hugo Boss Perfume shot by Tim Simmons.
- George @ ASDA shot by Robert Wyatt (Adults) and Tim Marsella (Kids).
While most of the team's current work is taking place in and around Cape Town, one of the Steel crews is currently on safari in the African savannah and the company looks forward to sharing their experiences with Production Paradise soon.
Cool Banana Cape Town photo production
Cool Banana has welcomed a diverse selection of advertising clients to Cape Town so far this season, including Nikon, L&M cigarettes, Amplifon and Star Beer. Italian fashion clients Roy Rogers, Sara and Date were also in town. The campaigns for these shoots aren’t yet out, but featured in this Showcase are a few exclusive behind the scenes shots.
"We look forward to continuing the fun during the second half of the season."
- photo agents Back to top
ONELEAGUE Cape Town photo agents
One League is a Cape Town-based agency representing photographers, stylists, hair and make-up artists and illustrators from around the world. One League has become synonymous with talent, passion and precision execution. The agency has hand-picked a select group of artists who produce work of the highest international standard for clients including world-renowned advertising agencies, catalogues and editorials. Contact the agency for electronic portfolios.
This Showcase highlights the work of a selection of One League's stylists and hair and make-up artists. The company also welcomes international photographers John Paul Tran and Henrik Purienne.
- Sjani Grobbelaar braved the Namibian sun to shoot German Glamour magazine.
- Geraldine Mouton collaborated with photographer Petra Van Raaij on a beautiful editorial for Marie Claire SA and has been keeping busy with various TV commercials.
- Tasha McDonald created hair and make-up for two editorials in the Wedding Album Magazine SA.
- Michael Cooper styled the Shimansky campaign through advertising agency Young and Rubicam Cape Town.
- Caroline Olavierrita went true 'South African' by styling an editorial for Design Indaba Magazine.
- Chrisna De Bruyn styled the eccentric Afro-pop outfit, Gazelle.
- models, actors, casting Back to top
Ice Models Cape Town fashion models
Latest news from Ice Models:
- Produced and shot in Cape Town, Azarro’s latest 'Chrome' fragrance campaign for worldwide print and TV rollout features Asaf Youbiner.
- NYC photographer Thomas Lohr captured the intense appeal of Charbi Kriek.
- Saville Dorfman features in the brand new Just Cavalli campaign. Officially launched 3rd February, Saville stars opposite the auspicious Kate Moss.
- Michelle Jansen featured in Plaza Magazine.
- Cheeky looking Michelle Oosthuizen is featured in two editorials in the latest Mirage Magazine.
Y models Cape Town fashion models
Y Models presents its latest crop of exciting new faces:
- Don Madge - Photography: VISI Magazine.
- Madelein - Photographer: Antonia Steyn.
- Bernise - Photographer: Cameron McDonald.
- Djavan - Photographer: Antonia Steyn.
- Daniel Malan - Poloroid.
MAX models Cape Town fashion models
Max Models has had a busy and exciting season so far. Highlights include:
- Minki graces the cover of the February issue of Cosmopolitan magazine, her third in two months.
- Rue has become an overnight sensation as the Liquifruit campaign breaks.
- Alice features in a shoot for French Elle by Morton Qvale - watch this space for some amazing tearsheets. The gorgeous picture for Grazia magazine, Dec '09, was shot by Roberto D’Este.
- Gillian appeared in W Magazine shot by Kevin Macintosh, as well as Madame Figaro shot by Karl Gustafsson - these great tears will be breaking soon.
- Jenna featured for It's a Man's World shot in Ibiza by Peter Godry.
- Careen is introduced as the agency's "hot and happening" new face.
- photographers Back to top
Anthony Friend Cape Town advertising photographers
Anthony Friend began 2010 with a bang. Here are just a few of his highlights so far:
- Woolworths World May issue.
- Cosmopolitan 'Candy Guy'.
- O Magazine fashion editorials with Robyn Cooke.
- Singh & Son: Oradoc.
- Network BBDO: Ackermans Hotshots.
- Jupiter Johannesburg: Edgars Magalogue.
- Frika Hair.
- Le Franschhoek Hotel & Spa.
Anthony teamed-up with stylist Rene Lombard and hair and make-up gurus, Luciano and Jade, to create their long envisioned Ethnic nouveau inspired shoot - with breathtaking results!
Mark Lanning Photography Cape Town advertising photographers
A million football dreams on the streets of the townships. With the 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa less than 120 days away, Mark Lanning went on an epic ten-day trip around his country of birth.
"I needed to capture for myself what it is about football that gives so many people hope and the promise of a better future. A game that allows the poorest of the poor to play themselves out of poverty."
Starting at Alexander Bay on the boarder with Namibia, where the mighty Orange River meets the Atlantic Ocean, Mark continued down the west coast to Cape Town, along the Garden Route to Port Elizabeth on the east coast, and then inland through Graaff Reinet and back to Johannesburg.
"Once I was in any of the many townships along the route a game of 'street football' was always only five minuets away. For me the journey was a truly spiritual one: I saw a side of my country, and the world, that showed that football is without a doubt a 'unifying religion'. It transcends class, colour, gender and age. This is my story and these are my pictures."
Gavin O'Neill Cape Town advertising photographers
New Zealand-born photographer Gavin O'Neill currently works between London and Cape Town during summer seasons, shooting mainly beauty, swimwear and lingerie images for a range of international magazines and advertising clients.
Gavin's recent editorial work includes beauty for British Vogue and Cosmopolitan, and a stunning six-page beauty editorial for Australian Vogue's 50th anniversary issue. His recent advertising work includes Ponds Cosmetics campaigns in both China and Indonesia, as well as campaigns for Philips, Kom Swimwear and Woolworths Underwear.
Check Gavin's website to see more of his work along with a list of agents.
- Back to top
The Bay Hotel Cape Town
A distinctive blend of sophisticated elegance and casual comfort, The Bay Hotel is superbly designed with 78 rooms and suites offering 5-star luxury in an unsurpassed setting. No less than four hotel pools with expansive sun decks offer superlative views of the Atlantic Ocean and majestic Lion’s Head.
Renowned as a haven for romantics, leisure is the hotel's catchword, from rejuvenating spa treatments to the convenience of a heavenly deli, unique cocktail bar or beachfront café. And for the ultimate in relaxation, The Bay Hotel offers a cigar lounge and bar along with a sumptuous fine dining restaurant that enjoys breathtaking views.
Special events can be celebrated at the intimate celebration table on a private deck overlooking a sapphire sea. Fully equipped meeting and events venues are available to suit every occasion, including the historic Rotunda for glittering parties and flawless weddings.