showcase magazine May 2011cape town issue 273
Welcome to the latest issue of Showcase Cape Town, brought to you by Production Paradise. We present the very best of the South African visual media industry, with more information available in our dedicated Film and Photo directories.
Be sure to check out our featured events:
- Encounters International Documentary Festival, 9th - 26th June.
- Cape Town Fashion Week, 11th - 14th August.
Our cover image was shot by Misha Taylor.
- photo agents Back to top
Infidels Cape Town photo agents
Latest news from Infidels:
- Marguerite Oelofse shot Christina Gottschalk in the Maison Martin Margiela collection hot from the Paris shows. Styling: Louw Kotze.
- Fabrizio Rainone shot 'Queen of the Damned' for Super Super Magazine and 'Sekstribe' for SVA Magazine.
- Jacques Weyers shot 'Black Swan' for Private Edition. Styling: Suzannah Garland. The shoot featured model Charlbi Kriek and ballerinas from CT City Ballet. In another story Saville Dorfman, Paul Francis & Santa Auzina, styling: Marco Riekstins
- Leonardo Bigagli shot Keep Wild in the Bush.
- Jon Cottam shot the Volkswagen 'Mermaid' ad.
- Caroline McLelland shot Thandie Newton for Elle UK, Motorola and Sloggi lingerie.
- Stephen Greeff shot Avon.
BIRD ON A WIRE Cape Town photo agents
Bird on a Wire Cape Town represents leading photographers, hair and make-up, stylists and fashion and décor professionals.
In addition, Bird on a Wire manages stills and commercial productions from briefing to completion. Recent work includes:
- Photographer Anthony Friend traveled to Ghana to shoot for The Legacy Group. Other clients include John Brown, Native Advertising and Woolworths World.
- Photographer Justin Patrick recently shot Schweppes for Ogilvy. Other clients include The Jupiter Drawing Room, Fishgate Advertising, House & Leisure and Elle Décor.
- Photographer Seppi Hochfellner shot for Lux.
- Fiona MacPherson recently exhibited personal work 'Pony Express' at The Erdmann Gallery.
- Milan-based fashion, portrait and commercial photographer Enrico Labriola joins the Bird on a Wire roster.
Bird on a Wire has launched a director and DOP representation, including Patrick Ryan who directed the recent Heart 104.9 campaign with DOP Todd Somodevilla for The Greenhouse and Johnny Swanepoel, who provided DOP and editing for the USN Spike campaign of several high octane spots with The Jupiter Drawing Room.
- styling, hair, makeup Back to top
Gloss Artist Management Cape Town styling, hair, makeup agents
Gloss Artist Management Cape Town represents an elite selection of South African and International hair and make-up artists and fashion stylists. Carefully selected for their relevant commercial experience and creative talent, Gloss believes that it is only people who have lived, worked and breathed the industry that truly understand the nature of production.
The company's services are aimed at providing every production with the best possible creative team to ensure clients attain the shots desired.
Recent work includes L’Officiel, Annabelle, Saxon Magazine, Galeries Lafayette, Aubade, Bogner, S’Oliver, Picard, Schiesser, Hermes (TVC) and Cartier (TVC).
- photographers Back to top
Mark Lanning Photography Cape Town advertising photographers
For as long as mankind has recorded his surroundings, images of food have played a very powerful roll in defining who we are creatively.
Mark Lanning's love for food photography began with his photographic career in 1987. In 2000, he began a series of journeys into the world of food with Neil Roake. Together they travelled to the New York Food Festival, Vietnam, Hong Kong and Mozambique, producing a series of food stories for Marie Claire, Food and Home and House & Leisure magazines.
2001 saw the beginning of a two-year journey through Soweto recording the warmth, creative energy, adaptability, faith, community spirit and indomitable humour of Soweto’s people as reflected in their fashion, music, homes, shabeen’s, businesses and distinctive cuisine.
Today, Mark’s knowledge and passion for food photography is as strong as ever. The proof is in the pudding.
- photo production Back to top
First Productions Cape Town photo production
First Productions has completed yet another busy, energy filled season.
Since being established in 1987, the company has found the most valuable form of advertising to be word-of-mouth, offering the highest degree of personal service alongside guaranteed professionalism, integrity and a "no problem" attitude.
For the off-season, First Productions will be hard at work sourcing new locations for Cape Town, and also proposes Croatia as a perfect destination for the European summer months. A taste of some of the fantastic locations on offer is available on the company's website.
First Productions would like to thank its valued clients for their continued loyalty and support, and hopes to see them - along with the new ones gained this season - back in Cape Town for 2011/12.
EuroConnection South Africa Cape Town photo production
EuroConnection owner Julie van Damme and producer Nicole Klassen are looking forward to spreading the word of wonderful Cape Town and the creative possibilities it offers at the UPdate Expo on the 6th of May in Frankfurt.
The Salon for Photography will take place for the second time in Frankfurt and the UPdate is looking forward to a nine-hour get together (1pm - 10pm) and lots of visitors. They can in turn expect portfolios from photography and illustration agencies, post producers, producers and stock agencies all presenting their services.
Steel Productions Cape Town photo production
Winter may be on it’s way in the Southern Hemisphere, but it doesn’t mean shooting comes to a close as there is still lots on offer across Southern Africa. Steel Productions works regularly on the sub-tropical East Coast which offers mild winters, lovely light and fantastic locations, as well as throughout Africa and the Indian Ocean Islands, while Cape Town offers a great backdrop (and occasionally some snow!) for winter shoots.
The Steel team would like to send a huge 'Thank you!' to all their clients for their support in helping make this past summer season in Cape Town so much fun. Recent work included:
- Four Canon campaigns with Dentsu London shot by photographers Ralf Pulmans, Henrik Knudsen, Pete Seaward and Mario Rabie.
- White Stuff shot by Simon Lipman.
- LastMinute.com shot by Heather Favell.
- Regatta shot by David Short.
- Dare2b shot by Guy Farrow.
- Certina Watches shot by Anton Robert.
- Education First shot by Andreas Lind.
- Hi Tec shot by Dougal Paterson (lifestyle) and Malcolm Dare (still life).
- Ergo shot by Venetia Dearden.
- Tuborg shot by Kristin Vicari.
Cape Town Productions Cape Town photo production
Cape Town Productions has just completed a successful shoot for Gray & Osborn with photographer Oliver Pearce through the Production Factory, London, at its latest location - Koh Samui in Thailand. The shoot-friendly island offers a secure environment with a huge range of diverse locations, affordable rates and accommodation options, as well as fabulous shoot-and-stay houses.
As the images featured in this Showcase demonstrate, the island offers everything from super modern well furnished houses, fabulous rim flow and beach swimming pools, to lush tropical gardens with waterfalls, palm fringed beaches with white sands, tropical jungles, incredible modern or classic hotel resorts, and grunge urban city scenes, colourful markets, rustic beach bars, long wooden jetties, and much more.
A range of wonderful ultra modern houses offer shoot-and-stay possibilities, and come fully staffed with Thai chefs and masseuses.
Big Sky Productions Cape Town photo production
Big Sky Productions recently shot the Carl’s Jr Turkey Burger photo shoot for American agency David and Goliath. The best local crew assured an excellent result and happy clients.
Marks and Spencer sponsored a kid’s editorial shoot in Cape Town this season. The city is famous for the calibre of its child models, and Big Sky Productions is one of the leading production companies for kids shoots.
The company's ability to find diverse locations is clearly shown by the Daily Mirror desert shoot featured in this Showcase, while Big Sky recently went to Senegal to shoot for Puma. The successful campaign in and around Dakar once again shows Big Sky's ability to conduct exciting shoots anywhere in Africa.
- models, actors, casting Back to top
Ice Models Cape Town fashion models
Latest news from Ice Models:
- Marius' unique qualities are captured in a great shot by Burkhard Henrichs.
- Eveline was shot at the beach by Peter Schreiber for Maxima.
- Marija looks stunning for Annabelle Magazine shot by Sune Czajkowski.
- Gerda-Marie shows off her flawless skin for Clarins shot by Guido Mocafico.
- Akuol by David Sessions.
- Charlbi looking beach-beautiful by Marcin Kosmowski for Damernas Magazine Sweden.
- Saville by Jacques Weyers for Men’s Health.
- Donnet showing off her beautiful hair for John Frieda.
- Gisela giving an instant fashion fix for Voila! Magazine by Nimi Pretorius.
- Agnes looking great in the new Otto commercial.
MAX models Cape Town fashion models
Latest news from MAX models:
- Gillian in Women's Secret campaign.
- Lotte for Cosmo Jeans May 2011.
- Jenna photographed by Matt Hind.
- Alisha for Pride Magazine April 2011.
- Natalia for O Magazine.
- Colette for 17 Magazine.
- Charie is now represented by Max Models.
- Aneta features in a military story.
Boss Models Cape Town fashion models
Boss Models in South Africa recently celebrated its 15th year of representing South Africa (and the world’s) most beautiful people.
Being the only international model agency in South Africa, Boss Models is constantly scouting and developing talent and promoting them internationally to the world’s most prestigious clients. Always friendly, always available, the company's agents are driven by a passion borne simply from watching their talents do well.
"From classic beauties to edgy new faces, Boss Models Cape Town is, has, and always will be ahead of the game."
Vision Models Cape Town fashion models
Vision Model Management was created in 2009 under the auspicious eye of booking veteran and photographer Byron L. Keulemans. Representing a handful of carefully selected top South African models, Vision boasts the most impressive board of talent the country has to offer. The approach? Simple. Quality over quantity. Management over agency.
This driving force has seen the management team go from strength to strength, illuminating the agency as the country’s premier management firm.
Within the first year of operation, Vision added heavyweight blue chip clients such as Hugo Boss, Abercrombie & Fitch and Hollister to its direct booking credentials.