We have made an overview of this great survey by Photoshelter and pointed out key insight from art buyers when looking at a photographer’s, agency’s or online resource’s websites.
What’s the best way to attract buyers’ attention?
Out of the 354 responses provided:
• 134 buyers said email is the best approach
• 75 suggested any form of communication – but to ensure it is uniquely targeted to their needs
• 36 buyers said direct mail is the best approach
• 27 buyers suggested an in-person portfolio visit
• 81 other responses were provided, from social media, to personal introductions, to sourcebooks and directories, to reps and agencies.
What makes a good email communication:
• Consistency/ regularity in sending promos
• Image(s) and copy immediately relevant
At what size do you prefer to view images?
• Majority prefers 700pxl wide.
Which background color works best on a website?
• Majority prefers Black
What do you like to see on a website?
• Fast image loading
• Email address always visible
• Phone number always visible
• Ability to click to view all thumbnails
• Search all images by keyword
• Ability to send or copy a link to a photo or galler y
• Showcase a ‘newly added’ section
• Captions below photos or on roll-over
• Ability to view at full screen
• Ability to create/send a lightbox of select images
• Ability to price/purchase/license images right on the site
• Navigation menu consistent on all pages
• Ability to email a photo
• Make browsing easy and logical
• Simple navigation
• Group photos in logical categories/ galleries/ portfolios
• Enable a buyer to request a comp download
What don’t you want to see?
• Ads (ie Google text ads)
• Full-screen ‘intro’ (e.g. animated photographer name/logo) that plays before you get to main menu
• Slideshows as default/slideshow-only galleries
• Contact forms instead of listing email address
• Slideshow as intro
• Photographer’s recent Facebook/twitter status
• Hidden “next” arrows that move
• Long, Flash intros that can’t be skipped
• Complex, unique navigation
How do you like to view a photographer portfolio?
• Website – preffered
At Production Paradise we know and follow these points to present our client’s work in their best advantage:
• Email showcase or portfolios, consistency in sending promos,Images and copy relevant by location or topic
• Images are always possible to download and not in flash
• Loading time is about 3 seconds
• Images in pop up are limited to 940pxl in landscape
• Always relevant content with Subject clear, “Showcase Paris” or “Spotlight Cars & Landscape Photography”
• Simple presentation, no music, fast loading time, no conditions, easy navigation
• Black background
• No slideshows when image viewing
• Photo and video gallery
These points are very valuable insight for any photographer or creative with a website presentation. Try to follow them to ensure the right people are coming, and staying, on your website.