showcase cape town issue 108 Mar 2008Featuring creative talent and services from the most exciting production locations
Welcome to the first 2008 edition of Showcase Cape Town, brought to you by Production Paradise. You'll find all the latest news from the top visual media industry professionals and, as always, more information in our city directory.
We start by showing you the work of Swedish-born stylist Ulrica Knutsdotter, who lives in Cape Town and is represented by Gloss Artist Management.
If you're nearby, be sure to check out our featured events:
Cape Town International Jazz Festival 2008 - 28th - 29th March.
Held at the Cape Town International Convention Centre, the 9th Cape Town International Jazz Festival once again brings together world-renowned musicians in what is set to be a proudly South African event.
Decorex Cape 2008 - 25th-28th April.
Expo of design with the themes 'imagine, innovate, and realise'. An exciting line-up of interactive projects, with the leading style-shapers and an abundance of décor ideas on display, again at the CTICC.
One League Cape Town photo agentsBased in Cape Town, ONE LEAGUE is a leading creative agency, representing top local and international photographers, illustrators, stylists, hair and make-up artists. In addition, the company produces the work it procures for its photographers.
- Michael Meyersfeld shot the "Urgent Adoptee" campaign for Saatchi & Saatchi, Brussels. He received the Grand Prix and Gold for the Mercedes SLK campaign through Leo Burnett at The New York Advertising Festival.
- Paschoal Rodriguez shot the cover for Cool Magazine with Victoria Secret model Izabel Goulart, and UNI lingerie campaign with top model Michele Client.
- Recent campaigns for Antonia Steyn included Samsung, Unilever, Bifi and Truworths. Editorial clients include Men's Health, Cosmopolitan, GQ and Elle, as well as Dutch magazine Hide & Chic.
- Hamburg-based photographer Petra van Raaij spent the season in Cape Town. Projects included a shoot for designer Tina Gatterman's perfume launch and French FHM, on location on the west coast.
Also represented by ONE LEAGUE: Antti Viitala, Adrian Raba, Debra Roets, Jan Verboom, James Strack and Jochen Braun. In addition, photographers Mark Williams and Michael Meyersfeld recently joined the team.
MAX models Cape Town fashion models
MAX Models is proud to be one of the top modelling agencies in South Africa. Dedicated to supplying the highest standards in service, the quality of its models has brought international acclaim to this agency located at the southern tip of Africa.
A round-up of latest news:
- Gina Athans is the first South African model to appear on the
cover of special edition Marie Claire. She has just finished
a campaign with Koto Bolofo, who was flown to Cape Town from
Paris for the shoot.
- MAX Models signed Jenna Peterson for a second year's
exclusivity in Europe with Hunkemoller for swimwear and
lingerie. She also shot a special feature for GQ Magazine
which included the April '08 cover.
- Minki van der Westhuizen is now the face of both Mumm
and Shimansky. Maryke Pieterse was recently booked for
Vogue UK, Mala Bryan for Vogue Brazil, and Claire
Melvill for Harper's Bazaar. Palesa Vedala has been
signed-up as the face of Yardley Africa.
- Amber Arbucci is an exciting new addition to the MAX board.
- Gina Athans is the first South African model to appear on the cover of special edition Marie Claire. She has just finished a campaign with Koto Bolofo, who was flown to Cape Town from Paris for the shoot.
Ice Models Cape Town fashion models
Latest news from Ice Models:
- Ice would like to welcome the gorgeous Charlbi Kriek to its
- Malcolm Cumming can be seen in the April issue of GQ and
will be heading off to Europe shortly, as will Donnet Dumas who
featured in the March issue of Cosmopolitan.
- Leggy beauty Lisa Cowley features in the FHM calendar
recently shot in Madagascar.
- African beauties Kwakho Qonqgqo and Oliver Makangila can be
seen throughout the continent as the new faces for
As many of the company's models will shortly be making their way to the European market, be sure to get in touch with Ice for an update on their latest whereabouts.
- Ice would like to welcome the gorgeous Charlbi Kriek to its board.
Y models Cape Town fashion models
Latest news from Y Models:
- Valeria Koryts'ka (picture by Christoph Meyer) - after an
incredibly busy season appearing in all the big international
catalogues and editorials, she'll soon be heading back to Europe to
take the industry by storm!
- Devin Paisley (picture by Igor) - optioned for Tommy
Hilfiger and for Otto shoots in New York, it's no wonder
he's in such demand in Europe where he'll be returning this year to
appear in the Milan shows.
- Masha Kolpakova (picture by Richard Johnson) - this gorgeous
young international model has blossomed into a real superstar after
arriving all shy and demure. She booked jobs with Oli,
Bon Prix, C&A, Glamour UK,
Vetimarche, Debenhams, and many more.
- Hailey Huizenga (picture by Petra Van Raaij) - the red-haired
beauty landed the TK Maxx and BMW campaigns, and
booked a number of glossy international magazine shoots.
- Donovan Truter (picture by Xandre) - booked for the new Levi's and TK Maxx campaigns due to launch soon. Watch this space!
- Valeria Koryts'ka (picture by Christoph Meyer) - after an incredibly busy season appearing in all the big international catalogues and editorials, she'll soon be heading back to Europe to take the industry by storm!
Outlaws Model Agency Cape Town fashion models
Recent news from Outlaws Model Agency:
- Richard Southall: A veteran in the game, Richard has had an amazing season. As 'King of the Commercials', he shot ads for Bonne Manne, Paulig Coffee and Rama. He will be spending time in Europe over the South African winter, mainly in Germany.
- Karlien Seegers: The sporty brunette has powered ahead since joining the team, taking commercials (TK maxx) and magazine covers (Shape) all in her stride. Karlien's trademark curls and infectious giggle make her popular with all.
- Greatmore Chatya: Outlaws would like to congratulate the new face of Nivea. The even-tempered Zimbabwean, known for her regular appearances in the local Queenspark campaigns, plans to take the UK by storm this winter.
- Dominique Piek: The Sports Illustrated cover star has just landed the coveted Canal Walk campaign, shooting prior to her trip to New York where she is scheduled to meet world-renowned photographer Mario Testino.
EuroConnection South Africa Cape Town commercial production
Executive photo producer Julie Van Damme will be visiting photographic agencies in New York between the 5th and 11th of April, and LA between the 11th and 19th of April. She will attend the location trade show AFCI to meet with Film Commissions from around the world.
Latest jobs January - April 2008:
- Alpro campaign, summer 2008. Photographer: Annabel Sougné.
- Vroom & Dreesman, summer 2008 campaign. Photographer: Carmen Kemmink.
- Al Houara Golf Resort, summer 2008 campaign. Photographer: Kurt Stallaert.
- Myself Magazine, Condé Nast Germany summer edition. Photographers: Guillaume Reynaud and Damien Fourie.
- Henri Lloyd, summer 2008. Photographer: Lars Erik Strandberg.
- Volkswagen 2008. Photographer: Horst Neumann.
- Strongbow cider campaign 2008. Photographer: Horst Neumann.
- Expresso African campaign 2008. Photographer: Stuart McClymont.
For any photo shoots during April contact producer Nicole Klassen at EuroConnection Cape Town.
Way Ahead Productions Africa Cape Town commercial production
Wayahead Productions, run by Linda Way, is a one-stop production company that combines professional work of the highest standard with the indulging services of a luxury boutique-hotel.
At the end of 2007, Wayahead broadened its range of services when Linda teamed-up with award winning creative and film director Thomas Neunreither to launch Film Away. The new company was formed in response to the growing demand for outstanding films and creative excellence.
Although not yet even on the map, Film Away has already directed and produced half-a-dozen commercials since it's inception, and will shortly rock the industry once again by introducing its unique camera system 'Skyvolution'.
Steel Productions Cape Town photo production
Summer 07/08 has been beautiful in Cape Town; Steel Productions enjoyed sharing it with some great clients, including:
- An exciting new campaign for Evonik Industries shot by Tom Nagy.
- The Mercedes E Class worldwide campaign shot by Mathias Baumann.
- The new Ecoflex range for Opel shot by Erik Chmil.
- Oli Summer 2008 Women's Fashion shot by Greg Sorenson.
- The Gilbert Mellish footwear catalogue shot by local photographer Brooke Fasani.
- Eric Hill ladies catalogue shot by Adrian Myers.
- Helvetic Tours new image campaign shot by Thomas Kalak.
Summer looks set to finish late this year - Steel have many teams booked well into April, taking advantage of the gorgeous weather and, of course, the fantastic current exchange rate.
Viaggi International Productions Cape Town photo production
Viaggi International Productions looks forward to a busy end of season; the sudden 20% drop in the South African Rand value has spurred a number of enquiries and confirmations for productions well into Cape Town's autumn.
V.I.P. is also preparing for a very promising European season in Greece, Spain and Southern France, while encouraging their customers to produce in the company's latest and more exotic destinations such as Venezuela, Brazil and Zanzibar.
V.I.P. has always aimed to provide the right solutions for its customers' layout and budget requirements. The variety of production destinations offered, together with the quality of service and cost awareness, have contributed to the company's great success.
The Worx Production House Cape Town photo production
The 2007/2008 spring/summer season has been very successful for The Worx Production House. Boasting collaborations with some of the UK, India and South Africa's finest photographers, highlights for the season include:
- Howies (UK) - Local photographer: Ulrich Knoblauch.
- Faith Shoes (UK) - Local photographer: Misha Taylor. Representing Faith: Ruth Ross.
- You Magazine (UK) - Photographer: Gyslain Yarhi. Representing You magazine: Caroline Baker.
- Matalan (UK) - Local photographers: Mark Cameron, Anthony Friend, Damon Fourie. International photographers: Ed Bovingdon, Ian Derry. Art Director: The legendary Jeff Banks.
- Next Accessories (UK) - Photographer: Jane Hilton.
- Next Women (UK) - Photographer: Keith Henderson.
- Health & Fitness Magazine (UK) - Photographer: Ian Derry. Representing Health & Fitness Magazine: Ian Hart, Mary Comber and Kellie Daggett.
- Park Avenue (India) - Photographer: Colston Julian D'souza.
- Oli Womenswear (UK) - Photographer: Frederich
Cape Town Productions Cape Town photo production
Cape Town Productions has led the way yet again in stills production diversity during the 2008 season.
With requests for Camel imprints in the sand (Jan Steinhilber for Camel), and cake fights in the streets of Observatory (Kristian Schuller for Swatch), the company's clients have kept the momentum flowing in a season which looks set to continue right through April.
Cape Town Productions welcomed back its Scandinavian friends from Volvo (Johan Svantesson) for a month long production.
The company extends its thanks to all the loyal clients who visited South Africa's sunny shores this summer. Contact Cape Town Productions for updated imagery and details of productions in Croatia, Greece, Portugal, Spain, the south of France, Namibia and Mauritius.
Freelink Cape Town photo production
Freelink recently pulled out all the stops for Peacock's campaign, shot in and around Cape Town.
Leeds-based South African, Sean Knott, wielded the lens for what was a standout campaign devised by Paul Sheldon and his team at Live and Breathe.
"Truth be told, it wasn't half as tough as expected," Sean lets on. "From the moment we arrived on set things just started flowing. There was order, vision and harmony. Freelink's determined, energetic approach is second to none! You know that every last detail has been considered."
"Their support and enthusiasm has definitely contributed to the success of our shoots," Paul adds. "Even with the tightest deadlines, they have always been professional, dependable and upbeat."
Kia Ora Beach Villa Cape Town lofts and housesKia Ora lies on Glen Beach between trendy Camps Bay - with its restaurants, nightlife and spacious beaches - and the world-famous Clifton Beaches.
The five-bedroom house is built on three levels and offers Mediterranean-style beach living at its best. The stunning beach location, spaciousness, light and privacy make Kia Ora a wonderful venue for film and photography shoots.
The property oozes pure glamour and style, while the simple décor provides photographers and directors with an unobtrusive venue with sensational backdrops.