showcase cape town issue 145 Jan 2009Featuring creative talent and services from the most exciting production locations
Welcome to the latest Showcase Cape Town, brought to you by Production Paradise. We present the very best of the South African visual media industry, its top professionals and leading creative talent, with more information available in our dedicated Photo and Film directories.
Be sure to check out our featured event:
- Design Indaba Expo: February 27th - March 1st. The annual event is South Africa's premier showcase of local design across all sectors. Providing a commercial platform for home-grown designers to present local goods and services to the global market, it introduces the most influential international buyers to the finest South African creative products.
Our cover photo was shot by Marco Grob.
Anthony friend Cape Town advertising photographers
Cape Town based international photographer Anthony Friend has had an incredible 2008. His latest advertising and fashion editorial work includes:
- German Men's Health cover.
- UK based Redwood Design Group Zoom Zoom Magazine.
- Ackerman's 'Back to School' campaign through BBDO.
- Hippocampus Pres Les 'Dreambook' catalogue.
- Type Face Media's 'Fabiani' campaign.
- Sandton Magazine December cover and editorial.
- Men's Health November cover and editorial.
- Cosmopolitan S. A. 'Valentine' editorial.
- Dunhill Magazine 2009 editorial.
- Cosmopolitan Beauty.
- Cosmopolitan advertorials for Appeltiser, Michellori and Sunglasses Hut.
- Oprah Magazine advertorials for Triumph and Clicks.
- Edgars covers and Temptations Lingerie editorial.
- Woolworths World editorials for Studio W Lingerie & Formal Wear with S.A. celebrities.
- photo agents
ONELEAGUE Cape Town photo agentsONELEAGUE Cape Town represents top local and international photographers, illustrators, stylists and hair and make-up artists. The company is celebrating its fifth successful season and continues growing strongly. Contact the agency for electronic portfolios and quotes. Recent work includes:
- The company proudly contributed to the launch of Mirage Magazine.
- Guy Neveling won a silver at London International for his VW Golf R32 campaign. Recent work includes a worldwide campaign for Cotonelle and Gallus Shoes, Germany.
- Gavin O'Neill did a Philips shoot in London for the new range of ladies' shavers, beauty work for Marie Claire S.A., and was named by German Maxim as one of the world's greatest photographers of nude art in a special supplement for which he shot the cover photo.
- Michael Meyersfeld shot the L'Oreal hair calendar for Blast and a Yum Yum Peanut Butter campaign.
- Alexa Singer's recent work includes campaigns for Polar Sport, catalogues for Aigle, Queen Mum and Steps, three fashion editorials with Marcus von Ackerman, and a campaign for Sadiyat Island in Dubai.
- Antonia Steyn's did editorial work for Glamour, Men's Health, Cosmopolitan and Wedding Album. The National Gallery bought her image of controversial figure Eugene Terreblanche.
- Damon Fourie worked on editorials for Elle and Seventeen.
- Laurence Ellis shot for i-D Magazine, Elle Man, Plastique, Mirage, 125 Magazine and Vanity Fair. Commercial clients included Vivienne Westwood, EMI, Solange Azurgury Partridge, Weinstein Co. and B Store London, as well as the summer '09 European Levis/Dockers campaign and a US Topman campaign for the new flagship store in NYC.
BIRD ON A WIRE Cape Town photo agentsBird on a Wire continues growing from strength to strength with some fantastic creative work. Latest news includes:
- Melanie shot for the History Channel, to be released Feb 2009.
- Harry De Zitter is currently shooting a series entitled 'La Flandre' in France and Belgium.
- Jac De Villiers and Damon Hyland shot for the launch issue of Private Edition, with styling by Kate Boswell.
- Morne van Zyl shot for the cover of Sports Illustrated and an editorial for GQ 'Best Dressed Men'.
- Brett Rubin shot for Wanted Magazine, Elle, Cape ETC and Obrigado.
- Justin Patrick shot for Miglio, Elle Décor and House & Leisure.
- Hannah Mentz shot local SA band Freshlyground.
- Alexia Kondylis styled for a Jordan TV commercial and print campaign.
- Angelica Wessels styled for Cape ETC and Woolworths winter 2009.
- Hair and make-up by Jade for Deluxe Magzine.
Freelink Cape Town photo production
"Perhaps it's the creative freedom or the extra commitment of all involved, but on a test shoot there's often a special moment when photographer, crew and model instantly click into one amazingly focused creative unit."
To help photographers capture that magic, Freelink will always bend over backwards, pull strings and call in its markers to get special favours and the best rates.
Featured in this Showcase are images from a test Freelink recently helped facilitate for visiting Danish photographer Karna Maffait.
Model: Lera from Y Models. Hair & make-up by Kirsten Zäschke.
EuroConnection South Africa Cape Town photo production
EuroConnection is responsible for every aspect of the shooting process. The company insists on great cost-effective pre production, hands-on involvement and total commitment to the client.
Recent productions include: Playboy, Expresso Telecom, Vroom and Dreesman, Jules, ISOPA & ECVM, Snickers with Mr. T and Gillette.
First Productions Cape Town photo production
It has been an early start this year for First Productions. With exciting new locations and a favourable exchange rate, the company is looking forward to a busy season with both regular and new clients booked for the new year.
Latest projects include:
- Gabor shot by Robert Grischek, represented by Waldmann Solar and directed by Serviceplan, Munich.
- Robinson TUI Deutschland shot by Astrid Grosser, represented by Birgit Stoever and directed by Scholz & Friends, Hamburg.
- Flymo Outdoor Products shot by Mike Schlawsky, represented by Magenta and directed by West Marketing Communications, UK.
- Burda and Freundin fashion editorials shot by Nicole Neumann, represented by Hille Vossschulte Photographers, Hamburg.
- OJO image library shot by Justin Pumfrey, UK.
- Charles and Keith Shoes shot by Mark Law, represented by Mark Law Photography, Singapore.
- COOP shot by Sonja Schaefer, represented by Waldmann Solar and directed by Krieg, Schlupp, Burge, Springer & Jacoby, Zurich.
- Christian Fischbacher Linen shot by Jürg Thalmann, Switzerland.
- Impressionen shot by Torsten Ruppert, represented by Gudrun Hamann Productions, Hamburg.
First Productions would like to thank all its loyal clients for their continued support and wishes them all the best for a happy and successful 2009.
Nomad Production House Cape Town photo production
"Cape Town certainly is the place to be - the weather is fantastic and the locations are incredible!" Nomad would like to thank all the clients and crew who have made the start of this current season "so sensational!"
Looking forward and ahead to the rest of the season it has been an exciting and slick beginning for the company, with clients Otto (Germany), Gemo (France), Jupiter (UK), Dorothy Perkins (UK), Ambria (Germany) and KK Magazine (Norway) amongst those to have made the journey south to Cape Town.
The Worx Production House Cape Town photo production
The eagerly awaited 2009 season has kicked-off with a bang for The Worx Productions team. Not only has the company become one of the most sought-after stills production houses, it is now also being recognised for its commercial shoots. The ladies at The Worx are very excited to see what next year has in store for them.
Season highlights thus-far include:
- GHD. Photographer: Dan Smith.
- Next Woman. Photographer: Jonty Davis.
- Next Accessories. Photographer: Jane Hilton.
- Engelhorn. Photographer: Philip North-Coombes.
The Worx Production House wishes all its clients and friends a very happy and prosperous New Year!
Cape Town Productions Cape Town location service and scouts
Cape Town Productions has had a varied season to date, having completed many challenging advertising campaigns and work for fashion, furniture and catalogue clients.
- The Camel campaign with Jan Steinhilber involved huge challenges and set-builds.
- The comprehensive furniture catalogue for Littlewoods, with photographer Eddy Kay, was deemed "a total success."
- Mickey Hoyle shot John Lewis furniture.
- The company welcomed back Rowlands to shoot with Rhody Simms.
- The shoot for Vola the bathroom specialists, with photographer Mikkel Vang, was probably the company's most complex logistical shoot in twenty years, but produced "awesome results."
The company takes great pride in welcoming new clients to Cape Town, and enjoys "wowing" them with phenomonal locations and a great professional service.
MAX models Cape Town fashion models
Max Models has had a successful start to the season with its models booking some fantastic jobs:
- Gina Athans and Jenna Peterson feature in an editorial for G&W magazine.
- Claire graces the cover and features in a fashion editorial for Private Edition magazine.
- Maryke features in a Stefanie Morland campaign.
- There's a whole new look for Claire in the One Small Seed editorial.
- Natalia was shot by Robbert Koene for etc.
- Minki is the new face of Garnier Nutrisse.
Y models Cape Town fashion models
Y Models has a small (but talented!) booking desk and a small (but hugely successful!) main board, as well as a "fantastically" successful commercial division. This diversity ensures that all clients' needs are met, from top-end girls and guys for clients with enormous budgets to good-looking "average lovelies" that cover clients with a more modest expenditure.
This is confirmed by the great start the company has had to the 2008/2009 season. With much more to come, Y Models looks forward to the second half of the year with much excitement.
Outlaws Model Agency Cape Town fashion models
Latest news from Outlaws Model Agency:
- Lee-Ann Liebenberg, "South Africa's favourite model", has just landed the cover spot on Sports IllustratedSwimwear 2008 edition.
- South African star Jacques Naude soared in New York after a shoot for Calvin Klein and work with top photographer Bruce Weber.
- Lauren Mellor, the face of Freya Lingerie, has recently returned from a successful overseas trip that included work for Agent Provocateur.
- David Fox Powell is welcomed into the Outlaws stable. Well-known on the international catalogue circuit after having worked for big names including Van Gils and Jones, the company is happy to welcome him for the season.
Ice Models Cape Town fashion models
Latest news from Ice Models:
- South African sensation Charlbi Kriek seduces the world on the cover of December's GQ and is also featured in the new issue of Asian Tatler.
- Anastasia Jenkin captivates all with her charming smile on the cover of Freundin.
- Look out for Tanit Phoenix who is the new face of the worldwide Veet campaign.
- Angie Schmidt is back in Cape Town for the season and "smoulders" in the latest Hamptons Magazine.
- Gorgeous Andrea Ashton has bagged the latest Emirates Airline campaign.
- hotels and apartments
O on Kloof Boutique Hotel Cape Town hotelsOlaf Dambrowski has reinvented himself yet again. His boutique hotel, nestled on the slopes of Lion's Head and overlooking the Atlantic, has been charmingly transformed with a new streamlined and sleeker look.
The black marble tiles at the front entrance combine with the water feature to lend a slightly ostentatious air, yet prove quietly enchanting as guests find their way to the covered outdoor dining area. The play between interior and exterior sets-off the industrial kitchen in which the architects have experimented with the intersection of design and graphic construction to great effect. This manifests itself in the detail and décor in each of the individually styled rooms, complete with Bose docking stations and state of the art LG plasma screen televisions.
Creature comforts can be found throughout the hotel, teasing the weary traveller into the essence of a dream where home is not home until they return to O's. Every whim is catered for, from a decadent breakfast on the sun-drenched patio overlooking the Atlantic to a leisurely swim in the indoor heated salt-water pool or treatment in the O'Spa.
The Hyde Cape Town hotels
With 36 "swanky" apartments, the Hyde is Cape Town's latest hot spot for Production Paradise members, conference clients and business or leisure travellers. Catering specifically to a discerning market, the Hyde delivers the small things that make a big difference in a style all of its own. The Hyde "knows how to work hard and play hard" and offers a series of individual solutions that go beyond the typical accommodation options.
With a full range of in-house services and facilities only a phone call away, guests get to run the show from their suite, the lounge or the pool deck.
- Available to all guests: 24/7 ice and coffee machine, flat screen TV and complimentary ADSL in all rooms, WiFi in common areas, secure undercover parking at no extra cost, rooftop pool and gymnasium, and on-site security.
- Available on request by calling in advance: casting room, meeting rooms, store room for equipment and collection, daily cleaning and laundry services, and chauffeur service.