showcase magazine Jan 2011cape town issue 255
Welcome to the first issue of Showcase magazine of 2011; Showcase Cape Town, brought to you by Production Paradise. We feature the very best of the South African visual media industry, with more information available in our dedicated Film and Photo directories.
South Africa and Cape Town hosted five Academy Award winners this summer, elevating the country's status to that of world-class destination for feature productions. Halle Berry, Denzel Washington, Jennifer Hudson and Terence Howard were all treated to South African production excellence.
Also, the newly opened Cape Town Film Studios will be the production space for two-thirds of the new action feature, Judge Dredd.
Our members can find some new production offers around the world and post jobs, deals and other ideas on our Marketplace.
Our cover photo was shot by Christoph Martin Schmid.
- photo production Back to top
Gavin Schneider Productions Cape Town photo production
Gavin Schneider Productions was honoured to produce the recent Louis Vuitton celebrity campaign with photographer Annie Leibovitz. A private game reserve in the Kalahari was the setting for a 40-strong team of client and crew flown in on private charters.
"You and your team were incredible. No detail was left undone. It was a challenge but a huge success due to your grace under pressure and seamless production, and I'm happy we were able to have some laughs along the way." Karen Mulligan, Annie Liebovitz NY Studio Producer.
- photographers Back to top
Mark Lanning Photography Cape Town advertising photographers
With creative batteries charged to the max, Mark Lanning is set for another intense year of photographic picture making. Featured in this Showcase is his latest collection of fashion, township reportage and conceptual advertising imagery.
"During the time I've spent with Mark, I always marvel at his ability to live life with such creative intensity. Over the odd glass of red wine and deep philosophical discussion we often debate if the passion he possesses is a curse, or a blessing. Mark is convinced it is both. But as I point out to him, it is that very inner turmoil that keeps those batteries supercharged!"
- photo agents Back to top
ONELEAGUE Cape Town photo agents
"I can't recall where I first bumped into Die Antwoord, although the room seemed dark and Ninja and Yo-Landi seemed backlit. I remember a reflection in Ninja's eyes from a table we were conversing across. I remember not being able to take my eyes or concentration off them. I still can't. 9 or 10 shoots later, I am fixated on them and the idea of them. Our times together are few and far between now but each time is as intense as the next. There is a lot to be said for allowing something to be what it is. My times with them have for the most part been to this end. They eat, sleep and breathe who they are. And capturing this is merely documenting what they are all about." Ross Garrett, Photographer.
Infidels Cape Town photo agents
Infidels has grown as an agency and welcomed some fantastic photographers to the family this season:
- Daniela Meuller-Brunke (Adidas, Wrangler Jeans, Poker Stars, Kaviar Gauche).
- Philipp Jeker (Replay Jeans, Kleinbasel, Sunita Suits, Amare Swimwear).
- Stefano Moro (Dolce & Gabbana, Gianfranco Ferre, V&L Eyewear, Amica Magazine).
- Jacques Weyers (Mandarin & Mint, Gossip, Truworths, Jekyll & Hyde).
- Jon Cottam (Emmy Rossom, Katherine McPhee, James McAvoy, Jack Osborne).
- Mark Cameron (Elizabeth Arden, Garnier, Shimansky).
- Jesse-Leigh Elford (Gavin Rajah Couture, Stefania Morland).
- Helena Grier Rautenbach (Marie Claire, Glamour, Cosmopolitan).
- photo production Back to top
Cool Banana Cape Town photo production
Cool Banana rounded off 2010 wonderfully with what is turning out to be a great start to the season. Highlights include:
- Adidas arrived with Catherine Garcia to shoot a global 2011 spring/summer in-store campaign (check out the Louvre store in Paris).
- Chris Craymer (Mulberry, Glamour, Crash) came over from New York to shoot the new Dove soap campaign.
- Vanity Fair Italia and Nino Munoz (True Religion, Vogue, Gisele Bundchen) shot actor Raoul Bova (Under the Tuscan Sun, The Tourist).
- Leonardo Bigagli shot menswear brand Keep Wild before their show at Pitti Immagine Uomo this month in Florence.
EuroConnection South Africa Cape Town photo production
Cape Town remains a favoured destination for some of the world's best photographers and directors and EuroConnection has been privileged to assist them.
Recent projects included:
- Pull & Bear - director Liam Gleeson and photographer Txema Yeste.
- Galeries Lafayette - photographer Paul Schmidt.
- Touring - photographer Marc Paeps.
- V&D - photographer Alexa Singer.
- FTS64 - photographer Lior Nordman.
- L'Officiel magazine February 2011 - photographer Camilla Armrust.
- Numéro magazine February 2011 - photographer Viviane Sassen.
- Photononstop - photographers Eric Audras and Fabrice Poincelet.
- Philips Lighting Automotive - photographer Rens van Mierlo.
Cape Town Productions Cape Town location service and scouts
2011 has started with a bang for Cape Town Productions.
Photolink brought a number of teams from Shop Direct to the city this month, and the company is happy to welcome back many of its regular photographers including Victor Yuan, David Woollacott, Chris Bracewell, John Owen, Darren Taylor, Jason Eggby, Eddie Kaye and Jamie Hubbard. Kevin Peschke and Darron Chatz recently shot with Cape Town Productions, while Ken Niven shot George magazine for Asda.
On the international front, the company is currently producing a huge campaign in Australia with Christopher Thomas, while Denise will be heading to Thailand for two weeks to produce a fashion catalogue.
"Cape Town Productions is now truly your international production facilitator."
Big Sky Productions Cape Town photo production
Bigsky Productions maintains its ultra personalised service position and continues to produce for a wide spectrum of clients within Cape Town and further north into Africa.
An exciting recent project was a documentary for sports and lifestyle brand Puma on Samuel Eto’o which took place in Cameroon. Other Productions in Cape Town included Sainsbury's, Early Learning/Mothercare, Barratts Shoes, EA Gaming, Mister Lady and Old Mutual.
Bigsky will be opening a European office In Mallorca this year. Watch this space!
Steel Productions Cape Town location service and scouts
The vuvuzelas may have quietened down but Steel Productions brings the energy of the 2010 World Cup into the new year with a super crew and some fantastic productions.
Recent still and film productions include:
- HSBC by Charlie Crane in Cape Town & Dubai.
- Dedon by Rainer Hosch.
- IBM by Benedict Redgrove in Ethiopia.
- Chevron by Steve McCurry.
- Lebara by Josh Cole.
- ASICS by Dougal Paterson.
- George @ ASDA by Tara Darby.
- Fat Face by Nigel Riches.
- McCulloch by Aorta.
- German Cosmopolitan by Eric Frideen.
- DeVal by Anders Jugermark.
- Boxer TV directed by Patrik Forsberg.
Click on the links below to view the videos:
- models, actors, casting Back to top
Ice Models Cape Town fashion models
Latest news from Ice Models:
- Michelle Oosthuizen makes a geek chic look cool in a shoot by Kristin-Lee Moolman.
- Sudanese model Akuol is a face to watch after a Cosmopolitan shoot by Caroline McClelland.
- Sam Laskey was photographed by Rory Dcs.
- Bryce Thompson was shot by Ulrich Knoblauch for the January 2011 cover of Men's Health.
- Charlbi did the cover of Blank magazine with Steven Gomillion and Dennis Leupold.
- Carla von Bergmann was shot by Will Davidson for V magazine.
MAX models Cape Town fashion models
Recent bookings proudly showcased by Max Models include:
- Sharon Marie Claire January - photographer Daniela Midenge.
- Amanda Marie Claire January - photographer Ulrich Knoblauch.
- Sarah Marie Claire December - photographer Steve Tanchell.
- Alisha Marie Claire December - photographer Richard Keppel-Smith.
- Gillian G&W December - photographer Justin Polkey.
- Nicole Cosmopolitan November - photographer Donovan Fichardt.
- Maryke Marie Claire November shot in Paris - photographer Daniella Midenge.
- Natalia Gavin Rajah winter 2011 - photographer Jesse Leigh Elford.
- Jenna Marion Linde winter campaign 2011 - photographer Ross Garet.
Y models Cape Town fashion models
New faces from Y models include:
- Katryn B.
- locations Back to top
Locations 365 Degrees - Farms Cape Town other locations
Locations 365 showcases beautiful farm locations in the film-friendly Elgin Valley in the Western Cape.
This magical valley is renowned for its apples and pears, its greenhouse cut flowers, rose growing and high quality cool climate wines. Locally it is known as the place “where the apples come from” and is home to Appletiser, the pure apple beverage.
Elgin offers clients a variety of diverse locations that are suitable for weddings, events and film shoots. The hospitality of the locals is unbeatable, with clients treated to delicious homemade delicacies and sumptious farm lunches that can be arranged for special events or shoots.
The agency is run by farmowner Barbara Van Den Bosshe. Barbara hails from Belgium and moved to the region 16 years ago where she now runs her own successful farms. She has all the contacts and knowledge of the region to facilitate every type of production!
Visit the website for more information.
Old Mac Daddy Cape Town other locations
The Old Mac Daddy Luxury Trailer Park in Elgin is the Western Cape's new favourite spot for dirty weekends and creative-cell recharging, located in prime wine and apple country. The 12 vintage Airstream trailers boast edgily designed interiors with individual themes, from bees to trees to a Yellow Submarine.
Contact Old Mac Daddy for more information.
- hotels and apartments Back to top
POD Camps Bay Cape Town hotels
Cool beyond question: this is POD Camps Bay. Perfection realised in a series of delicate balances, POD is simultaneously raw and polished. Yet somehow things remain genuinely authentic and accessible. It is about light and lightness. Outside is the new in.
Naked African timber dropping into stone, shifting into glass, together imbuing a sense of seaside sophistication so often attempted, yet so rarely achieved. 15 modern suites share the spoils of mountain and ocean views. Sound architectural thinking has clearly been applied throughout, with every room exquisitely finished in unparalleled taste.
Guest lounges on each floor create a sense of sociability whilst indulgent private decks ensure exclusivity too (three rooms boast their own splash pools). Truly surprising is PODs’ proximity to the famous and ever energised Camps Bay Strip, just a few light footsteps away.
15 On Orange Hotel Cape Town hotels
Fusing cosmopolitan comfort with natural splendour, marble floors and eclectic design, the African Pride 15 On Orange Hotel is amongst the most attractive in the world for production houses.
Boasting top-class interiors and exteriors, the hotel's 129 spacious luxury suites are equipped with a host of first-rate leisure and entertainment amenities. Guests can also savour fine dining in the hotel restaurant and enjoy the unique Murano Bar.
Located just moments from the CBD, Company Gardens and Cape Town's vibrant nightlife, the hotel has the majestic Table Mountain as its backdrop and the city at its feet. The African Pride 15 On Orange hotel offers tailor-made production services and facilities that make it a uniquely exciting production experience.