Event Planner Tough Mudder LLC (New York)
Posted 8-02-2011, offered
About our Company:
Tough Mudder (toughmudder.com/) is an event and marketing company that puts on what is “Probably the Toughest Event on the Planet” – a 10-12 mile muddy trail run with at least 20 military-style obstacles. It’s Ironman meets Burning man, designed to test all around strength, stamina, mental grit, and camaraderie. Forget finish times. Simply completing a Tough Mudder is a badge of honor. (Tough Mudder is a challenge, not a race. In 2011, our Mudders raised $650,000 for our official charity partner, the Wounded Warrior Project.
A Harvard Business School start-up, we move fast, value innovation, and are growing at lightning speed. Our ever growing popularity has enabled us to avoid the schlep of raising capital and sharing office space with other companies. Our goal is to create the “toughest, most original and enjoyable events on the planet” and our core values are teamwork, camaraderie, and having a good time (just like our events).
In 2010, our first year of business, we held three events attracting over 20,000 people and in 2011 we are expanding to 16 events across North America for a grand total of 120,000 participants and $20m in revenues. We will also be expanding international with events being planned in Australia, the UK, and Japan for the 2012 season. After just over one year of business, Tough Mudder has been featured in the New York Times, on CNN, the CBS Morning Show, and Forbes, and the website Travlete named us as the best adventure race of 2010 and gave our Tri-State event its first ever A+ review.
We work out of DUMBO in Brooklyn, NY – a neighborhood that is billed as the home to New York’s creative industry. We are surrounded by start-ups, studios, and countless other innovative, young companies.
About our Team:
The Tough Mudder team (at present, 10 strong) is an electric group of smart, quirky high achievers. We make it a point to take our work seriously, not ourselves. What we share is a passion for making Tough Mudder the leading brand in the endurance industry. Everyone in the office is 30 years old and under, and we’ve been profiled by the NY Times as a place that “exudes Gen Y cool” and where employees actually enjoy (yes, enjoy!) coming into work. We work very hard to create a work culture that is enjoyable and stimulating for everyone, and we are looking for people that will help add to this. A sense of humor and ability to laugh at yourself are key to success at Tough Mudder.
We are all very different people, but together we are a team. When you come to work for Tough Mudder – you won’t be just another employee, you will be part of something that is actively affecting the world around you.
About the Job:
Tough Mudder is not your average work place, and we don’t employ the average person. We only hire from within; everyone on our staff starts as an intern and moves up from there. In fact, every intern we’ve hired has been offered a full time position.
From day one you will have real responsibilities. What you won’t be doing is spending your day getting coffee and making copies. What you will be doing is negotiating with vendors, brainstorming new marketing strategies, and traveling to planning meetings across the country, or even the world (we’ll be expanding internationally in 2012).
You’ll work alongside the founders of Tough Mudder – a rare opportunity and a very valuable learning experience.
We believe that hard work deserves to be rewarded, and as a Tough Mudder employee you’ll get lots of perks:
• 5 weeks holiday per year + official holidays
• Healthcare coverage (including dental and vision)
• Free food and drink
• Complimentary gym membership
• Work from home 1 day per week
• Free trip for friend/family member to one Tough Mudder event
• A cake on your birthday
Trust us, you won’t find these benefits at other start-ups.
Event Planner Responsibilities:
• Previous project management experience preferred
• Oversee key elements of event production
• Assist in designing obstacles, course routes, and fully developing each event’s concept
• Oversee planning of the Tough Mudder post party
• Work with vendors to negotiate top deals on event supplies and materials
• Plan specific event budgets
• Successful applicants can expect to travel approximately 15-20% of the time
• 1-2 years’ work experience preferred
• A clear focus on delivering results within a small team environment
• Be creative, flexible, adaptable, and possess excellent teamwork skills
• Team player who is not focused on titles and is willing to pitch in and help out where necessary
• Sense of humor is a must, and, please, don’t take yourself too seriously
Starting salary will be $35-$45k depending on experience and qualifications.