Posted 12-03-2014, wanted
The Executive Director:
- Provides leadership and vision to ensure that the company fulfills its mission and achieves the goals set by the Board of Directors for artistic excellence, financial stability, and community engagement. S/he is responsible and accountable for all aspects of the Company’s operations, including artistic planning and administration; budgeting and financial management; fundraising; marketing and public relations; audience development; education; human resource management; organizational development; and community outreach
- Establishes the overall artistic plan for the Company. In consultation with the Program Committee of the Board, s/he selects repertoire, assembles the production team, identifies the cast, and engages all artistic personnel from a pool of both local and national talent.
- S/he ensures that the Company achieves the highest possible standards of excellence with available financial resources.S/he will have the option to appoint an Artistic Director. Develops and implements the overall business plan and annual operating budget for Anchorage Opera. S/he ensures that appropriate financial policies, procedures, and controls are in place. S/he monitors expenses, making adjustments as necessary, and provides timely and accurate financial reports to the Board. S/he explores options for additional revenue streams through judicious use of assets such as the scene and costume shops.
- Leads the fundraising efforts of Anchorage Opera. S/he builds positive relationships with individuals and organizations throughout the community to heighten awareness about the Company and expand the base of contributions at all levels. S/he is the visible representative and spokesperson for the Company with funders, collaborating organizations, government, facilities, and the broader community.
- Recruits, engages, motivates, trains, supervises and evaluates all administrative and artistic staff. S/he fosters an environment that encourages teamwork and allows both management and artistic staff to do their best work.
- Takes a leadership role in the arts community of Anchorage and the State of Alaska. S/he develops partnerships and collaborations that benefit the community and advance the mission of Anchorage Opera.
- The successful candidate will be a proven leader with the vision, knowledge, intelligence, energy, and personality needed to guide the continued artistic, organizational, and financial development of Anchorage Opera. S/he will be a strategic thinker with excellent planning and management skills. S/he will be a superb communicator and an effective public advocate for opera and its value to the community.
- S/he will be a willing and enthusiastic fundraiser who views fundraising as an essential part of the Executive Director’s job. S/he will be willing to invest the time and effort needed to cultivate donors and achieve results.
- The successful candidate will have strong knowledge and successful experience in the areas of marketing and audience development. S/he will be aware and informed about the potential applications of technology and electronic media for audience development. S/he will demonstrate a strong commitment to education and community engagement.
- s/he will be passionate about opera. S/he will have a strong working knowledge of opera that encompasses artists, repertoire, operations, and production. S/he will have successful experience overseeing and working with creative talent. S/he will have a thorough understanding of the issues and challenges facing opera companies and the performing arts today.
- S/he will be a person of the highest integrity and ethical standards, able to sustain the trust and confidence of the Company’s internal and external constituencies. S/he will have the demonstrated ability to develop and maintain a work environment that fosters a commitment to excellence, creativity, teamwork, and mutual respect.
- The successful candidate will be willing and able to reside in Anchorage on a full-time basis and will welcome the opportunity to become an active participant in the life of the Anchorage community.
Compensation, including benefits, is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Please send a letter that describes your specific interest and qualifications for the position. Include with a resume, salary history or requirements, and the names of three references. All applications will be considered confidential and references will not be contacted without the applicant’s prior agreement. The position will remain open until filled; the committee will begin to review candidates’ materials in early April.
Electronic submissions are preferred. Please send to:
Anchorage Opera – Executive Director Search
Catherine French Group
2500 Q Street, NW, Suite 623
Washington, DC 20007
MS Word or Adobe Acrobat attachments only, please.